YPS Plumbing Supplies

What are Gas Safe


There are two main pieces of legislation that deal specifically with gas safety. These are:

1. Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1988

This legislation is the statutory instrument that deals with the safe installation,

maintenance and use of gas systems, including those within buildings. It can include

both domestic and commercial premises, and covers, gas fittings, appliances and flues.

Its scope also covers both natural and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

2. Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 Approved Code of Practise and Guidance

Whereas this legislation is a companion document to the Statutory Instrument, published by the HSE. It provides guidance for anyone who has a duty under the regulations, including installers and maintainers, on how to comply with the Regulations. The ACoP includes guidance on the safe installation of gas-related equipment including pipes, appliances, meters and regulators, and flues; and also on standards of training in safe gas installation.

What is the Gas Safe Register?

This is the official list of gas engineers who are registered by law to work on gas appliances. It replaced the CORGI (Council for

Registered Gas Users) scheme in 2009. As with the CORGI registration process, gas engineers must pass a stringent process to

enable them to appear on the Gas Safe Register. This is intended to ensure that all persons carrying out work involving gas are

properly qualified and technically competent.

Gas Safe Registered Engineers:

Individual gas engineers must be registered with the Gas Safe Register by law and firms must also be registered. All engineers are issued with a Gas Safe Register ID card and they should show this to householders before starting work. This applies to all domestic and most industrial work.

When it comes to check the credentials of an engineer, not all registered engineers can carry out all jobs, some will only have specific qualifications to do certain jobs.

Home Improvements:
If you are planning or involved in a home improvement project that involves some gas work such as remodelling a kitchen or work that could involve moving gas pipes such as a loft conversion then you will need to make sure that the tradesman carrying out the work is either gas safe registered themselves or is going to subcontract this part of the job to another tradesperson that is.

According to the gas safe site, over 100,000 home improvement jobs that were carried out resulted in unsafe, illegal or downright dangerous gas work and in pretty much all cases the homeowner assumed that the tradesman or project manager would ensure that this part of the job was undertaken by the appropriate person when in fact they had either damaged it themselves or contracted it out to someone else with some gas knowledge. In either case the work was illegal and unsafe.

Therefore, if your engineer does not notify the local authority and later down the line it turns out that the appliance is the cause of the fault then you, as the homeowner, are responsible. This again highlights the need for you to ensure your chosen engineer is fully on the ball and doing their job to the fullest degree. More information on this can be found here.

According to the Gas Safe Register website, the only gas work you

are allowed to carry out yourself is that which is stated in the user

instructions that accompany a given appliance e.g. a new cooker,

boiler etc. Outside of what is stated in the user instructions should

not be touched or attempted by the home owner.

This also stated, you (the homeowner) should not carry out any work that results in the disturbance of a gas carrying or supply component e.g. a gas supply pipe.

Gas Safe - YPS Plumbing Supplies
Gas Safe Trademark
YPS Plumbing Supplies - Gas Safe
Looking for a quote on plumbing and heating